Tuesday, October 21, 2008

What to expect from computer forensics applications - NOT

I got a google alert on an article entitled, "What to expect from computer forenisics applications." by Kelly Hunter.

Based on the article, this illustrates exactly the kind of information that you do not want. It is full of misinformation. The author confuses forensics and anti-forensics. The author then goes on to say that forensics software is what you need to keep your computer running at its best.

I especially like this little bit of wisdom, "This kind of software is prefect for just about everyone, and that is why it is on the rise on the internet. People want to be able to take control of their computers, not the other way around. This is software that can help you do that."

Say what?

Also, the author does not mention any actual forensics software such as Encase, FTK, Winhex, or any of the other major software for computer forensics.

I suspect the author has never actually seen any forensic software, much less used or tested any of it.

Being the curious sort that I am, I went to the author's site and found even more misinformation.

For someone who purports to write about forensics and forensics software, perhaps the author should get some real information. Or at least learn to check the facts.

2 comments:

  1. I went to check this site http://www.computer-forensics-software.com
    and the first thing I read was this: “Computer forensics software applications have today replaced the human forensics experts in retrieving such kinds of data from almost all kinds of electronic and digital media.”

    I hope Ovie and Bret (Cyberspeak Podcast)realised that there's not a moment to lose in getting their 'Forensicator Pro' protected with US Patent. :-) :-) :-)

    ReplyDelete

I have moderated my comments due to spam.